"Hell may have no fury like a woman scorned but heaven hath no sweetness like a sports fan vindicated." - Samcat

Thursday, May 01, 2008

Hello, my name is Jason Varitek and I will be your hero this evening.

















(Photo from Boston.com)

Seriously, man, if I'm the Blue Jays, I'm wondering exactly what kind of black magic voodoo I have to pull out of my sleeve to win games like this considering how great my pitching has been.

But they don't have Jason Varitek is what. And they don't have Jason Varitek deciding that he's just going to hit it to the same place as Brandon Moss before him because he's a gambling man by nature and he'd wager a bet that Vernon Wells isn't going to throw out the lead runner at the plate twice in a row. And he was right. Because he's Jason Varitek. He's The Captain.

Of course, Tek's genius plan required Manny to be running full bore and tearing ass around third. And Manny did his part. The helmet didn't even come off until AFTER he'd been called safe. Maybe he knew it was more aerodynamic?

Anyway, thanks to Daisuke Matsuzaka and Jonathan Papelbon and Jason Varitek, (and Vernon Wells, let's be honest), plus Brandon Moss and his fantastic catch, lighting has indeed struck twice.

Tek even acknowledged the crowd with a nice little curtsy move over at first. Did we all see that? Oh, Jason, you're the prettiest ballerina in all the land.