"Hell may have no fury like a woman scorned but heaven hath no sweetness like a sports fan vindicated." - Samcat

Friday, April 18, 2008

Damn right it was a good day.















(Photo from Boston.com)

Several things happened yesterday to make it excellent. Stellar, even.

Thing one: Manny Ramirez absolutely beating the crap out of Mike Mussina and stealing his lunch money. Just violating Yankee pitching, Manny is. It's a contract year and all that (which, I mean, it's Manny. Do you think he even knows that? Perhaps he's been clued in by his "agent" Alex Cora?) But what Ramirez is doing is just otherworldly. He is a FORCE.

Thing two: Speaking of stealing lunch money, the Bruins. Or should I say, "Bruins, the Bruins what?" Captain Zdeno, Phil Kessel's my hero and all the rest of 'em certainly took it to Montreal last night at the Bell Centre, and have made a series out of it yet. I left the bar after the second period when the score was tied at 1-1 and promptly started receiving text messages with updates. Eventually, it seemed like I was getting one every twenty seconds. It got to the point where I thought my friends were just messing with me. But then I got home and called my brother. He confirmed the score.

"Jesus," I said, "I'm on the T for twenty minutes and they equal their total goal output of the entire series?"

"Better late than never," Kev said. He then mused about his weekend plans. "I got a nice little Saturday planned for myself," he said, "Got a hockey game to play at 10am, then another one at 3, be done in plenty of time, drive to Mom and Dad's house and settle in and watch the Bruins in game six. Nice little Saturday."

"Will you be going to Home Depot?" I asked.

"Not sure. Don't know if I'll have time."

And finally, the third awesome thing that happened yesterday is that bars in Boston now have Sam's Summer on tap. Which means summer is officially coming. It can't get here fast enough.

Finally, if I may use this here space to pimp a few friends of mine, well, it's my blog and I'm going to. First of all, See Abby Run. No, really, you can see her as she's running the marathon on Monday for an excellent cause. You can read all about her training on her site which I've added to the sidebar.

Secondly, Sean at winking in the sincere light is funny and excellent and has some great stuff for you to read. And he even pimped this site despite my unapologetic Patriots fandom. So check him out. (Site also on sidebar.)