"Hell may have no fury like a woman scorned but heaven hath no sweetness like a sports fan vindicated." - Samcat

Thursday, April 10, 2008

Had to happen eventually
















(Photo from Yahoo! Sports)

For once, I can sympathize with JD Drew. In that picture, he looks for all the world like someone has taken his puppy away and is simultaneously forcing him to eat lima beans and liver. Do. Not. Want. I believe is the correct phraseology.

And really, while not a one of us wants the losing, what we really don’t want is the losing of our third baseman. Or should I say our WORLD SERIES MVP third baseman, Mike Lowell. Because, look, I love Sean Casey possibly more than I should (classic Baseball Binky right there), but there’s a reason he’s a bench player. ‘Course, he hit just fine last night so that was promising, but I’m not looking forward to games without our Puerto Rican George Clooney manning the hot corner. Now Lowell’s a gamer, so he’ll likely try to get back as soon as possible, and I’m sure he will. But what I’m concerned about is how this sprained thumb is going to affect his hitting. I hope that it doesn’t become a nagging thing that dogs him all season. Let us all hope I’m projecting here and we really have nothing to worry about.

Of course, despite the loss, part of me is a teeny bit happy for the Tigers. Except that Edgar Renteria fellow because I’m had just about enough of that guy, I’ll tell you that much. But I was concerned that one more loss and Old Man Leyland would start shooting players just for fun. Extinguishing his cigarette butts on Carlos Guillen’s hat or perhaps forcing Magglio Ordonez to wear his flowing locks in braided pigtails until the team started winning. Pretty sure he’s already started referring to them as “panty-waists,” so I’m sure there was more coming. I delight to think of what Gary Sheffield, obviously known for his calm head and sense of reason, will think about that.

As for Jonny Lester, well, he’s had better days, surely. And I’m sure he’ll have better days again. Last night just wasn’t his night. It was, apparently, Edgar Renteria’s night. And while that’s nice for him and all, I must point out that he once agreed to appear in this photo shoot. So, you know, make of that what you will.

Tonight, Wakefield attempts to hone the battery with Kevin Cash (respectfully sporting the Doug Mirabelli Memorial Facial Hair, I see), and shut down the now “explosive” Tigers lineup. But it’s Timmy, so you know he’ll be nice about it.