"Hell may have no fury like a woman scorned but heaven hath no sweetness like a sports fan vindicated." - Samcat

Thursday, October 05, 2006

Old Habits are Hard to Break















(photo from Yahoo! Sports)

So I'm at the gym yesterday evening and I'd just finished my run and was about to head into the locker room. I stopped in front of the plasma-screen next to the weight machines to watch Nomar's 7th inning at-bat. Nomar, as he is wont to do this year, promptly doubled to tie the game.

"NOMAH!" came a distinctly Boston-tinged voice behind me.

I turned to see a man in workout wear, sweating profusely, and smiling at the screen. He caught me looking at him.

"Sorry," he said, "But I friggin' LOVE that guy."

"I did too," I said.

"No," he added, "I mean, I woulda made out with Nomah like five years ago."

I laughed, he thought better of his statement and backpedaled.

"I mean," he corrected, "Don't get me wrong. I'm as straight as an arrow. I love chicks but, dude, I totally woulda hooked up with Nomah."

I laughed again, "Something tells me you wouldn't have been the only one."

"Freakin' Nomah," the dude said, shaking his head and heading into the locker room, "I freakin' LOVED that guy."

Didn't we all?