"Hell may have no fury like a woman scorned but heaven hath no sweetness like a sports fan vindicated." - Samcat

Friday, March 11, 2005

Deep Breaths

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
(The Worcester Tornadoes will blow your house down!)

Okay, people, we need to just calm the hell down for a right second. Apparently, the new minor league baseball team in Worcester (Woo hoo! More baseball in the area!), has christened itself "The Worcester Tornadoes." Okay, sure, sounds good to me. No one can possibly find fault with that, right? It's respectful to all ethnicities, demographics and races. It's appropriately threatening unlike some other names we can think of and it's reasonably sporting. Or not. Evidently, some folks in Worcester seem to think the name is "disrespectful to the 94 people who were killed when a powerful twister swept through the city more than 50 years ago." according to the AP. Seriously? They're offended by that? They think those in charge of naming the team are trying to upset people? I mean, if we need to be 100% politcally correct about things than I guess someone should take issue with the Carolina Hurricanes (I mean someone other than Whalers fans), or the Minnesota Wild (someone has surely been devoured by a grizzly bear at some point), or the Los Angeles Lakers (because lakes? In LA?). So really people, calm down. Methinks you're all a bit too sensitive. It might make me a giant prick for saying so but I highly doubt the people that chose the name for the baseball team were even aware of a hurricane blustering its way through Worcester fifty years ago. And they surely didn't mean to offend anyone. Come now, the public high school in my hometown has a "Green Wave," essentially a grinning, havoc-wreaking tsunami as it's mascot and I don't see them changing it so as to be more culturally sensitive. I mean, shit, if we're being that touchy feely, I guess we can't even name a team "Molasses Flood." Sometimes a name is just a name. I would only start raising holy hell if they adopt this as their logo. Besides, it could be worse, you could be the New Hampshire Primaries. *shudder*