"Hell may have no fury like a woman scorned but heaven hath no sweetness like a sports fan vindicated." - Samcat

Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Troy Brown Don't Take No Cheap Shots





























(photo from Boston.com)


So it's the Jets then, is it? Okay. As The Rick said when I crawled out from under the covers sometime around 1pm yesterday afternoon, "If they can't beat the Jets, they don't belong there." True. Of course, the way I see it, the Jets don't belong in the playoffs because of my completely irrational hatred of Chad Pennington, his stupid haircut and my steadfast belief that Mangini fucked over Belichick and broke a Godfather-level trust in so doing.

That and, you know, I want to win.

Of course, winning would be a hell of a lot easier if Rodney Harrison didn't keep getting broken. This time, it wasn't Rodney's fault. But that is no good. And I am not happy about it. Neither was Tedy Bruschi who, it became clear, was assuming the "vengeance and fury" portion of the football game. Ain't nobody mess with Tedy's homies.

Like Troy Brown, who cannot possibly have committed the unecessary roughness penalty of which he was accused because he would have had to throw aside his walker, remove his dentures and hike up his grandpa pants, all of which would have endangered his hip. I kid, obviously, because I love Troy Brown. But c'mon, that man does not do anything unecessarily roughly. He just doesn't.

While I do feel for Vince Young because I think he's a fantastic player, he's got many years ahead of him in which to be fantastic. To me, Vince Young is what everyone wants Michael Vick to be. Young has a better arm and doesn't fancy himself a running back. He uses his receivers and backs and understands how to make plays happen without forcing them. He reminds me of Steve McNair in that way which is likely why Jeff Fisher likes him so much. He's a good QB and he's going to be difficult to beat in the not-too-distant future. But for now, he is sad. And Lomo is the nicest.

So what I propose these Patriots do is to take all of this frustration that bubbled over during the Titans game out on the Jets. Because the Jets think they're better than the Patriots. The Jets think their coach is a genius. The Jets think they're going to win. Gentlemen, let's please inform them otherwise. The Boston/New York rivalry is not exactly in dire need of another chapter so let's squash this one right quick, mmmkay?

And while we're here, I'd like to express my sympathies to the Denver Broncos and their fans (especially the ones I've gotten to know) for the tragic loss of Darrent Williams. Things like that just shouldn't happen. My heart goes out to them.