"Hell may have no fury like a woman scorned but heaven hath no sweetness like a sports fan vindicated." - Samcat

Monday, December 18, 2006

Hey, hey, I wanna be a rockstar.


































Okay, full disclosure. I slept through yesterday's Patriots' game. It's not my fault! I'd just gotten off a plane after a weekend of 48 hours of rock star insanity with only about 90 minutes of sleep (no lie). I just passed out and woke up to the sounds of Belichick's press conference, talking about "good execution" but how the team could "always do better." Took me a minute to realize they'd won.

Anyway, on Thursday, I did manage to catch the Bruins' game while at my brother's house and I have to say, aside from the actual game where the Bruins laid the smack down on the Devils, the best part of the game was undoubtedly the introduction of Matsuzaka at the TD BankNorth GardenThingie. Decked out in a #18 Bruins jersey, Matsuzaka trotted out on the carpet and dropped the ceremonial first puck. Then he and 6'9" Bruins' captain Zdeno Chara stared at each other like two totally different species, wondering what to make of each other. They sniffed and stared and likely would have circled each other warily had the game not started.

I do have to wonder if poor Matsuzaka, fresh off an airplane where he was evidently kidnapped by Theo and co. was a tad bit confused when he showed up at the Garden and was given a hockey jersey to wear. "Um," I can imagine him saying to his translator, "This is not the sport I play." And then attempting to throw a gyro-puck. On second though, perhaps the Bruins could use him.