"Hell may have no fury like a woman scorned but heaven hath no sweetness like a sports fan vindicated." - Samcat

Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Serenity Now























Figures that just as the Sox get embroiled in the biggest story of the Hot Stove season thus far and the Patriots sign 78-year-old quarterback Vinny Testaverde amidst rumors that Tom Brady is hurt (NO! NOOOOOOO!), I've got other things to deal with that will keep me from focusing my full attention on the Boston sports scene.

But don't worry, I haven't forgotten.

I'll be heading to Cooperstown this weekend with The Rick and Marianne and will be sure to bring back pictures and stories. I'll try to get one of Marianne crying in front of Cal's plaque because Marianne is not, by nature, a crier, and it'll be handy to have that documented for posterity's (and blackmail's) sake.

I've been to the Hall of Fame once before but it was in 2003. During Game 3 of the ALCS in 2003, to be exact. Also known as Pedro/Zimmer Smackdown '03. Most of the Hall was under construction and what we did manage to see was too crowded. There were also ENTIRELY too many smug Yankee fans to make the whole thing wholly enjoyable. Later in the evening, I actually had to leave a bar in downtown Cooperstown and take a walk down the street to keep from disemboweling anyone with a plastic butter knife. Hopefully, this time will be less stressful.

Of course this time, there's a little matter of the Red Sox 2004 World Series display. I suspect Marianne might not be the only one crying.

After Cooperstown, I might be incommunicado for a few days as I tend to some family matters. (Nothing major but if you could all send my momma some recovery vibes, that'd be much appreciated.) So in the off-chance that I'm not around for a few days, worry not, I shall return.

Or I won't because I've chained myself to Carlton Fisk's statue in the Hall of Fame. Whichever.

In my absence, why don't y'all tell me about yourselves? You know, name, age, location, feelings on the DH. I kid, mostly, but I would like to know more about my readers. Lots of you I already know as you've got keys to my apartment and you won't go away even if I change the locks, but the rest of you, I'd like to know better. Call it an informal study. So lemme hear it, who are you?