"Hell may have no fury like a woman scorned but heaven hath no sweetness like a sports fan vindicated." - Samcat

Wednesday, July 09, 2008

Oh Ye of Little Faith


















(Photo from Yahoo! Sports)

You guys? I totally didn't see this one. Not a pitch. I was being a good concerned citizen and volunteering at Greta's campaign office and brandishing a democracy gun and all that and getting score updates from Amy and when I checked the score on my phone on the way home and saw that it was 5-2 Twins in the bottom of the 8th...I just figured that was it.

Because my phone is kind of ghetto, see, and it doesn't get the magical internets so I had only the text message from Google to inform me of the score. It didn't say anything about runners on base or Manny hitting a two-run homer or Brandon Moss getting the go-ahead RBI and proving Tito right by giving him the start. I didn't know about any of that until I woke up this morning and turned on SportsDesk and heard Kathryn Tappen talk about the Sox going for the sweep today. And I thought, "Who in the what now?"

When I went to bed, absolutely confident that the Sox were gonna drop this one, I knew only that I wished that Jon Lester had pitched a little better because it would have been kind of fun for him to stick it, pitching-wise, to the team he didn't get traded to. Sort of, "Yeah, you didn't get me and now you get this" (throws 96-mph fastball for strike three).

But all things considered, I guess I'll take what did happen. Which is also, if I am correct, the bullpen for once not imploding. Perhaps it is a new day after all.

Maybe I should ignore the Sox more often. They're back within 3 of first place with Josh Beckett going today.

::sticks fingers in ears::

La la la! No baseball for me!

Meanwhile, I sort of want to have a talk with Brett Favre. Just kind of want to pull him aside and say, "Look, Brett. Love you, mean it. But it's baseball season. People in Milwaukee are finally excited about the Brewers right now and they just got Sabathia and that's pretty awesome and maybe, you know, right now? This isn't about you. You know, maybe. Don't pull an A-Rod, dude. We'll get to you soon enough. Just, you know, go film some more Wrangler commercials or something. That'd be awesome. We'll talk soon. Okay, thanks."

I wonder what Tiffany Ortiz has to say about this.