"Hell may have no fury like a woman scorned but heaven hath no sweetness like a sports fan vindicated." - Samcat

Monday, April 23, 2007

Sweep!

So I woke up this morning furious with Manny. Completely furious. I think my first conscious thought was "Goddamn it, Manuel. I know you're not paid for your defense but Christ, man, just because you hit a bomb doesn't give you the right to hand out errors like they're bobbleheads on promotion night."

See, what had happened, near as I could figure, was that I went to bed, content in the Sox 3-game sweep of the Yankees and in the latest win against the one they call Chase Wright. But somewhere, in the not nearly enough hours of sleep I got, my brain twisted it around and I had a dream about the Sox hitting back-to-back-to-back-to-back home runs (talk about make believe), but that Manny also made a crucial late game error, misplayed a ball A-Rod hit into left and was responsible for the Sox losing the game and A-Rod being the hero and six more weeks of winter. But now, in the light of day, I see that didn't happen. Right? But apparently Tek got in on the hit parade as well?

Now I know I'm dreaming.

But seriously, talk about heady stuff. I don't know who this Chase Wright fellow is but I quite like him. He can stay. We might need another batting practice pitcher if Dougie's arm gets tired. And speaking of Dougie, he and Tek now have the same number of home runs and Tek has raised his average to a quite respectable .265. See? All he needed was a little tough love.

As for the Yankees, was it me or did Joe Torre look like he was having a Big Think in the dugout there? Every time the camera cut to him - and that was often for the game was on Fox and it's not a game on Fox without several shots of Joe Torre picking his nose - the man looked positively wracked with concentration. It's April, Joe. Might be a bit too late to get out of this circus this season but I'm not sure throwing your starter into a game in relief is completely necessary. And yes, I know it was Pettitte's throwing day and live batters are better and blah, blah, blah. I still think the move reeked of desperation.

Hey remember how when we got Josh Beckett everyone was annoyed that Mike Lowell came as part of the package deal? We envisioned him as some .180 hitting $9 million hole of black suck at third base? Years and years of "Buelly would've had it?" Yeah, I'd like to extend an official apology to Mike Lowell on behalf of Red Sox Nation. Our bad. You can stay. How's that "I *heart* the Green Monster" tattoo coming along?

Good times, people. Good times. Be they real or imagined.