"Hell may have no fury like a woman scorned but heaven hath no sweetness like a sports fan vindicated." - Samcat

Wednesday, August 10, 2005

Natural Selection

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Perhaps Darwin was right.

So this happened. Via Amy:

"Yankee Stadium Fan Plunges From Upper Deck."

Um, okay. So my first thought was, "Is he/she okay?"

"H(arper) was in stable condition at (sic) early Wednesday"

"Okay," I thought. "How did that happen? Was he pushed? Was there a fight? Surely even a Yankees fan wouldn't be stupid enough to-"

"Harper told three friends he was sitting with that he was going to test whether the net would hold his weight — and then he jumped, police said."

"Um...I know the team is bad and all, but, is it really 'cause for suicide?"

"People think we threw him off, but we're all best friends, so I don't think that would ever happen," said 20-year-old Giusseppe Tripi, another one of Harper's friends."

I'm pretty sure I don't "think" I'd ever throw my best friend over a railing either but hell, I'm not a Yankees fan.

The best part?

"That was the only exciting thing that happened today," Yankees owner George Steinbrenner said after Chicago's 2-1 victory."

Just when you start to give them a little bit of credit, they do something to alert you to the fact that yes, in fact, they are that stupid. Guess Darwin was onto something here.

Oh, and the Sox won. Edgar became the hero despite himself. Good times in Sox-land .