"Hell may have no fury like a woman scorned but heaven hath no sweetness like a sports fan vindicated." - Samcat

Friday, July 22, 2005

'Bout Damn Time



















(photo from Yahoo! Sports)

Like a Mack Truck with the breaks cut...

That is more like it. That is what I like to see. Winning ballgames against the best team in baseball, despite a shaky start by our “All-Star” starter and a blown save by our newly minted “closer.” Then we rely on Manuelito, as we have so many times in the past, to come in and say, “It’s okay. Don’t worry. I fix it.” And then he did.

I had made plans to go out last night and had resigned myself to the fact that I’d only be able to see the first inning or two of the game. However, when I arrived at Club Q (so tragically, tragically hip and so not traditionally my scene as I am most assuredly not hip), I was relieved to see the television screens behind the bar showing the game.

“Thank god,” I breathed to Heather, “the game’s on.”

She just laughed. She knows me too well.

We got our complimentary drinks and settled into a VIP area (I swear to you guys, I am not this hip), and chatted about all manner of things before I saw a commotion of sorts on the television in the corner.

“Hang on,” I said, “I think we just scored.”

I marched over to the bar and accosted the poor soul sitting there.

“What just happened?” I asked him.

“Uh,” he said, “what?”

I gestured impatiently, “The game. What just happened in the game?”

“Oh,” he said, “Uh, the Red Sox scored.”

“So we’re tied now?” I asked.

“Um, yeah.”

“How’d that happen?” I said, glancing at the television, waiting for a replay.

“The, uh, the second baseman. He dropped the ball. And so the runners were allowed to advance.”

“Dude,” I said, giving him a “for real, you are not about the explain the rules of baseball to me,” look. “Iguchi made and error?”

“Uh, yeah, I think so.”

“And Damon scored?”

He looked at me, completely confused.

“Uh, I think so.”

“Come on, man,” I said good naturedly, “Pay attention!”

I don’t think he got it.

So it was with great excitement that I saw the Sox pull it out last night, despite all evidence that they might fall victim to playing the “Best Team in Baseball!” with their All-Star Game starter on the mound.

Tonight, I’ll be watching them go for Game 2 of the series at Katherine and Sebastian’s. Sebastian, a displaced Yankee fan will undoubtedly be cheering for the White Sox. But I plan to stuff him so full of taco dip that he can’t get out more than a “Murmphhearnfnf!” from time to time. Ah, the power of taco dip.

*******

Stay tuned for more updates about the 80 something-year-old gentleman I met this week who, despite being a Red Sox fan his entire life, had never been to Fenway Park before. And, of course, my musings on Tedy Bruschi.