"Hell may have no fury like a woman scorned but heaven hath no sweetness like a sports fan vindicated." - Samcat

Tuesday, April 28, 2009

The power of positive...eating?























(Photo from Yahoo! Sports)

Quite unintentionally I made chicken parm for dinner last night, only to realize as I sat down to eat that Tim Wakefield was pitching and perhaps my dinner was an unconscious tribute to everyone's favorite back-up catcher turned realtor, Doug Mirabelli. And maybe I was trying to channel some patented suave Douginess to get Wake through another stellar outing.

It wasn't until the seventh inning when Wakefield and Cliff Lee were locked in a battle of "anything you can do, I can do better" that I considered it might be working.

You guys? I might not even know my own power.

Of course, everyone's favorite Canadian had something to do with it as well. "You know," Orsillo mused after watching Jason Bay quietly take his seat on the Sox bench following his 9th inning 3-run homer off Kerry Wood, "he just kind of quietly goes about his business doesn't he?"

"He certainly does," Remy agreed.

Because Jason Bay is many things but flashy is not one of them. One gets the impression that were he to make like Jacoby and start swiping bases with any regularity, he'd be made uncomfortable by all the attention. Which is not to say he doesn't deserve it.

"Do you think Jason Bay should have a death metal version of 'O' Canada' as his at-bat music?" I posed to Chrissy a week ago.

"YES" she replied. "What can I do to assist you?"

"We both work at colleges," I told her, "surely some enterprising yound lads with a taste for PBR, some mad skillz on the guitar and the desire to make the world a better place can be convinced to help us."

"What I like about you is how you see the big picture," she replied.

I've no doubt Jason Bay would enjoy that, no? And after last night, he certainly deserves it.