"Hell may have no fury like a woman scorned but heaven hath no sweetness like a sports fan vindicated." - Samcat

Friday, June 30, 2006

Cheaper by the Dozen
















(photo from Boston.com)

Since I became one of the approximately twelve billion people to use the Spinal Tap reference in yesterday's post title, I thought I'd go for the easy joke again and see if I can hit the jackpot twice.

Anyway, what more is there to say about this team? They're pretty freakin' good, eh? It's strange that on this extended winning streak, things seem to be going the Sox way. We're getting the good bounces, getting the calls and, as in the case of Coco accidentally revealing his alternate identity as Spiderman last night, making the plays. I know someone who would not have made that same play and would still have managed to concuss himself on the warning track whereas Coco just popped right back up like a Whack-O-Mole...

As for David Ortiz, sigh, as Amy said, "just another day at the office."

The Rick has now taken to calling me, or rather, having my mom call me to harass me when Varitek does something to contribute, like get himself an RBI. Wonder how often he's calling my brother re: Doug Mirabelli's offensive contributions? Right.

Dear Theo:
The National League is fun. Let's play them all the time.
K thnx,
Red Sox Nation

And Schilling picks up his tenth win of the season. Because you just KNOW there was no way he was going to let that newbie punk Beckett have a better won/loss record than he did. I like that about this team. I like that the veterans are challenging the new guys to step up and the new guys, by stepping up, are challenging the veterans to show they've still got it. It's working well. And it's a lot of fun to watch.

Speaking of fun to watch, Mike Timlin's fist pump and look or pure awe when Coco made that catch yesterday was fantastic on about fifteen different levels. In fact, it's the happiest and most unabashedly joyful I've seen him look since this happened.

That was fun.

So we keep rollin' on.

Next up, the Marlins. Let's make sure that if anyone attempts to intentionally walk Miguel Cabrera, they pitch somewhere in the vicinity of the on-deck circle.

Updates might be somewhat sporadic this weekend as I'm heading to NH to spend some time at the lake. I trust you all to keep the Sox homefires burning while I'm gone. Have a fantastic fourth, everyone.