"Hell may have no fury like a woman scorned but heaven hath no sweetness like a sports fan vindicated." - Samcat

Sunday, January 15, 2006

All Good Things...

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

(photo from Boston.com)

Pretty sure I signed up to watch the Patriots play a divisional playoff game yesterday. I didn't realize we were going with understudies. Or 8-year-olds. Or, you know, cardboard cutouts with oven mitts for hands. Because I don't know what that was, but I know it wasn't Patriots football.

Look, I understand that The Most Bullshit Call In History (TMBCIH for short) was not the reason the Patriots lost the game. It sure as hell didn't help and I'm seriously still trying to figure out how defensive pass interference can be called on an uncatchable ball but... Okay, but nothing, I've run out of words to talk about that bullshit. But I will grant that it's not the reason the Patriots lost.

The Patriots lost because they shot themselves in the foot. Multiple times. Five turnovers does not a playoff win make. They know this. And I assume they would be the first people to admit this. I assume, you see, because I turned the television off after Brady threw that last interception. Call me a bad fan if you want, but I can't stand to see my team fall apart like that. I can't watch the wheels come off, even when I know it's happening.

But in the end, it's okay. I mean, losing is never okay, but all things considered, it's all right. I am still, after everything, very proud of the way things went down this year. With a Pro Bowl's worth of players on injured reserve, the insanely tough schedule to start the season, the loss of both coordinators and multiple issues, the team honestly did better than I expected. Tom Brady is for real, yo. And the Patriots aren't going anywhere. As long as we have Belichick and Brady, we'll be competitive. I have lots of faith in their future.

And speaking of going nowhere. Well, the Colts. Which is, I don't know, amusing anyway. Colleen will disagree with me but the Colts, blech. I felt dirty cheering for the Steelers because y'all know I have NO love lost for them, but, hell, I have friends who are Steelers fans. At least they're happy. Oh, and for the record? Hi, yeah, that was so an interception by Polamalu, you incompetent jackasses. Just, you know, if we're playing by the rules. Always nice to Mike "Did you see my diamond stud? I am SO trying out for a boy band in the offseason" Vanderjagt honk an important field goal. Always nice.

And so here we are, watching some relatively meaningless football and whiling away the days until spring training. At least we have the Bruins. Oh, wait...