"Hell may have no fury like a woman scorned but heaven hath no sweetness like a sports fan vindicated." - Samcat

Saturday, September 17, 2005

We're Not Worthy!

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
(Garth and Wayne tell Timmy where it's at)

I hereby offer Tim Wakefield as the gold standard of "professionals" who sack up, shut up, and do their jobs.

Seriously, Timmy, we're not worthy.

Three complete games this year (even though 9 full in a 10-inning game
technically doesn't count as a CG but we're ignoring that), is one HELL of a showing. And exactly what this team needs right now.

So it took our most expensive player getting drilled to win it in the bottom of the 10th? So it even got to that point by some hideously inept defense on the part of a one Mr. Johnny Damon (
Ponytail, jackass! How many times do I have to say it?) So teams might be figuring out David Ortiz and refusing to let him beat them, reasoning that one base is better than four? It's a win and I'll take it any way we can get it.

Wins are wins these days and we need every last one of 'em.

And freakin' Wakefield. Would you look at this guy?

















You wanna mess with that? Didn't think so.

See, this is how I explain it, Tim Wakefield is like the Troy Brown of the Red Sox. Half my life he's been on the Sox. He's never been the most flashy guy, the most expensive, or the one getting the most headlines. But he's always been there, willing to do whatever the team needed. So far, I don't think he's taught Wally the Macarena but I'm fairly certain that if Theo asked him to, he'd roll his eyes, shrug his shoulders, and resignedly start gettin' jiggy with the green beast.

But what he's doing right now is above and beyond. He's given our bullpen - "beleaguered" hardly seems to cover it anymore - all the rest they could ask for. And he's done it himself. I'll tell you one thing, my Dave Roberts shirt just arrived in the mail but you can bet that with my next paycheck, I'll be ordering a #49.

As for David Ortiz, who hit ANOTHER home run to tie the game in the 6th, well, let's just let him say it:

Dan Roche: Did you think it was going to end this way?
Tizzle: Nah man. I was expecting something different there. I guess they been watching ESPN lately.

They damn well better be.