"Hell may have no fury like a woman scorned but heaven hath no sweetness like a sports fan vindicated." - Samcat

Monday, February 28, 2005

Wide A-Wake

Hosted by Photobucket.com

On a team full of idiots, goofballs, cowboys and cavemen, it's important not to overlook the guy who's been there longer than any of them. Bill Mueller is often called "The Professional" but I would argue that title is just as apt for Tim Wakefield.

Boston.com has a good article on Wake today. Of note:

"There's no question in my mind I can pitch until my mid-40s," he said, "[but] I'm not going to pitch that long."

Are you sure?

"No, I'm not sure," he said, "but I'm positive I can pitch to at least 42. If I sign a two- or three-year extension that would carry me to 42.

"The whole reason I want to pitch longer is I want my son to know what Dad did. I want to share the experience with him."

Baby Trevor may not be old enough to understand what his daddy does just yet. But he's got a hell of a legacy to look forward to.

Thanks, Wake. We'll see you soon.