"Hell may have no fury like a woman scorned but heaven hath no sweetness like a sports fan vindicated." - Samcat

Wednesday, May 11, 2005

Once more for the cheap seats in the back!

Just when you think you can't possibly love a player any more...this happens:


(via Dirt Dogs)

The raised arms are so childlike, so anti-Tek, so very against character. But it's exactly what was needed in such a moment of release. It's less "I am the
man!" though few would dispute that, and more "We won!" WE. Because you know he's thinking "we." You know that Varitek was thrilled to be able to pick up his pitchers, put some focus back on Matty's brilliant start and take some of the heat off Keith Foulke. You just know that he was thinking, "I can fix this." when he stepped into the batter's box.

The funny thing is, immediately before Tek went deep, I said to Sam via IM "If Varitek ties this game, his love for me is undeniable." I said "tie" because asking for a walk-off two days in a row seemed greedy to me. And then...BOOM! And while I'd like to believe that Varitek was indeed expressing his love for me, it's more likely he was expressing his love for his teammates. Because that team? All about the love.