"Hell may have no fury like a woman scorned but heaven hath no sweetness like a sports fan vindicated." - Samcat

Thursday, July 30, 2009

Mike Lowell is only one man!




















(Photo by Chrissy)

Seriously, you guys. Mike Lowell can't do everything himself. He'll try, sure, because that's just the kind of guy he is. But he can't possibly be expected to take care of everything from RBIs to pitching all by himself. I mean, he has to save some time for proper facial hair care maintenance and upkeep after all. It's a daunting task.

And he'll do what he can to inspire, but I suspect that even Mike Lowell thinks maybe Brad Penny's sort of a lost cause at this point. Look, I thought it was going to rain last night too, Bradley, but I still showed up ready to play. It would have been nice if you'd done the same, sir. We're getting kind of thin on options around these parts and I'd appreciate it if you'd not start the game on the first pitch by putting the Sox in the hole. At least wait until the second pitch. I mean, seriously.

However, may I reiterate how nice it is to attend a Red Sox game and not have to worry about the specter of Julio Lugo ever, ever again? At one point I said to Chrissy, "So I have this theory that no one on the team really liked Lugo. And you know how infielders always turn around and motion to the outfielders and tell them how many outs there are?"

"Sure," she said.

"Well I always wondered if like Jacoby or Jason Bay nodded but in their head they were all 'I know how many outs there are, Julio. I'm paying attention. Gosh.'"

"But Jed Lowrie tells them how many outs there are too," she said.

"True," I answered, "But everyone likes Jed Lowrie. He just wants to help."

"I see your point," she said.

And...yeah, the fact that Lugo isn't on the team anymore is pretty much the best thing that happened at the game last night. What does that tell you?

(A more in-depth recap of the game, er, sort of, in tomorrow's NESN post. Link to follow.)