"Hell may have no fury like a woman scorned but heaven hath no sweetness like a sports fan vindicated." - Samcat

Saturday, June 16, 2007

Thank you, Dave.



















Feelin' the love.

Okay that up there? That's what it was about. Which is why I'd like to take issue with Boston.com's coverage of last night's game. You go on the site and it's all "BONDSBONDSBONDS." Give it a rest. I'm totally fine with the reference to Pedroia as a "little giant" because hee! But come on, how about a little coverage of the person most of us came to see?

I suspect that Dave Roberts probably drives his current San Francisco teammates crazy with stories of his days in Boston. I expect they're all, "Dude, we know, you stole a base. Got it." But the thing is, I love that. And I love that someone tells him "thank you" every single day.

I took a picture last night of a small child holding a base on which was written, "We'll never forget." I'd put it on here but technology hates me so you'll just have to take my word for it. But the standing ovation that Dave Roberts got was fantastic. That was the reason I wanted to be there. This was the only game I REALLY wanted to see this season because I wanted to say thanks as well.

Some people have said that they think it's ridiculous for Red Sox fans to hold one single play in such high esteem and to revere one player, who was on the team for less than three months, so much. But Dave Roberts understands. Every single interview I've ever seen or read from him, he absolutely gets how important the stolen base was and is to Red Sox Nation. But he's so humble, he almost seems to think that his involvement was secondary. But Dave Roberts knows what baseball means to the people in this city. He knows what it's like to be a Red Sock, however brief. Per the Globe, "Barry asked me, 'Is it always like this?' " Roberts said. "I said, 'Well, when we play the Yankees, it's like that.'" Note the use of the present tense.

Don't get me wrong, I would have loved to have been at Pedro's return. But that wasn't so much thanking him for one season or one great game or one specific thing he did. That was thanking him for being the best pitcher in baseball for so many years and for doing it in Boston. And Trotter's return would have been amazing too but that was more about welcoming back one of our prodigal sons. The return of Dave Roberts was about saying thank you to one man for one moment. For something he did for us. And for telling him, "We're glad it was you."

So thanks, Dave, for everything.

As for the actual game, can someone explain to me how Dustin Pedroia's at-bat music is NOT "Against All Odds?" Because if the little woodland creature can go 5-for-5 with a home run and 5 RBIs, that's about as inspirational a story as there is. I feel bad that Pedroia's crazy night was overshadowed by the endless coverage of Senor Fathead but something tells me he's not done yet.

And for the final word on Bonds, I think I'll let Julian Tavarez, everyone's favorite nutcase say it: "We're going to talk about baseball, right, not Barry Bonds," said Tavarez. "I'm sick and tired of hearing about Barry Bonds."
Me too, Julian, me too.